Year 6/7 Entry to Middle School
Year 6 and Year 7 are the beginning of the Middle School experience at Navigator College; where students are met with fresh challenges and exciting opportunities. Our team is structured to provide stable support through a core group of subject teachers. This is complemented by support from knowledgeable and experienced specialist subject teachers. Students receive a well-rounded entry to Middle School experience and a taste for new academic opportunities.
Year 6 and 7 at Navigator College has a focus on:
- Supporting students to undertake the transition from Junior into Middle School while maintaining momentum in their passion for learning, and willingness to inquire. This is extended to promote further organisation, independence, and self-motivation in their learning.
- Developing positive relationships with peers, teachers, and the Middle School community; through a range of transition and orientation experiences with both teachers and the wider Middle School student body towards the end of their Junior School time and via come and try days.
- Giving students a variety of opportunities in their academic pursuits by providing a taste of many subjects and learning areas. This includes engagement with the band program that sees every student given the opportunity to learn a wind instrument, with instrument hire and tuition included in the standard fee and an introduction to German in Year 6 as a carousel of language experiences.
- Creating a safe learning environment where students feel supported through Restorative Practices. Positive behaviour is supported through placing value on the the relationships with peers, staff and families.
- Creating exciting opportunities outside of the classroom to build camaraderie as a year level through camps to Erappa (Iron Knob Police Camp) and Adelaide. Involvement in the Pedal Prix challenge at Murray Bridge, human powered vehicles, building team spirit and commitment.
Navigator College understands that young adolescent learning needs to be active, dynamic and inspire our students to become contributors to their world. We want our students to be confident, capable and resilient people who inspire, flourish and care.